Advertisement and call for proposals¶
- The total amount of money in the SecureDrop Community fund is announced every other month in the in the forum.
- The announcement must include a call for ideas to spend the fund. This is less formal that a request and encourages participation from people who are not active volunteers. It is made clear the volunteers are not expected to followup to avoid any kind of disapointment.
- After two weeks the thread is summarized by a member funding team and closed.
All expenses are proposed and approved as follows:
- Someone posts a message in the forum asking for funds to be released.
- The request is discussed by active volunteers. A volunteer is an individual who does not receive any monetary compensation, either directly or indirectly for the work done on SecureDrop. A volunteer is active if they contributed in a quantifiable way to SecureDrop in the past six months.
- Ideally there is a consensus between the volunteers. If at least one volunteer asks for a vote, it is organized in the form of a yes or no question. The winner of the vote is the one that gets the most votes.
- After at least a week, a member of the funding team
reviews the thread and either:
- releases the funds as instructed if there are no objections or a vote decides in favor and adds a message to the thread; or
- clearly explains why the funds cannot be released and what needs to be done before they can be released.
- The thread is closed.